Rocklin Child Custody Lawyer Provides Strong Advice and Advocacy

Family law attorney assists parents in the Greater Sacramento metro area

Divorces and breakups between parents can be extremely hard on everyone involved, especially the children. At Inimitable Law in Rocklin, we strive to help clients throughout the Sacramento area establish child custody and visitation orders that provide a safe, supportive environment for young people. Whether you and your co-parent agree on most issues or need assistance resolving emotional disputes, our firm offers knowledgeable counsel and strong advocacy. 

California custody and child visitation

Typically, everyone benefits when the parties can formulate a parenting plan on their own. This makes it more likely that each parent will comply with custody and visitation terms going forward. Unlike other types of legal disputes, litigants in a custody proceeding likely will have to communicate and cooperate with each other for years to come. Should consensus be impossible, the judge will set forth custody and visitation terms based on what they think is in the youth’s best interests. Any information the judge believes is relevant can be considered, but common factors in these cases include:

  • The ability of each parent to care for the child
  • Emotional ties between the child and each parent
  • How a custody decision will affect the child’s connection to their school and community
  • The child’s age and health
  • Whether either parent has had problems with domestic violence or substance abuse

By working closely with each client and learning about their specific situation, we construct comprehensive parenting plans that give young people the best chance to thrive.

What is the difference between legal and physical custody in California?

When parents of minors divorce or live apart without ever having married, an order must be entered addressing legal and physical custody of the youths. Legal custody refers to the authority parents have to make decisions concerning their children. Regardless of the specific living arrangements, legal custody is often awarded on a joint basis so that both parents have a say in matters relating to their child’s medical treatment, education and religious upbringing. Depending on the circumstances, one parent might be awarded primary physical custody with the other having appropriate visitation rights. However, physical custody might be shared, especially if the parents live in close proximity and have demonstrated the ability to cooperate on parenting matters.

Can children express their preference in a California custody proceeding?

California courts will consider the custody preference of a youth who is at least 14 years old. The judge does not have to issue an order that agrees with the child’s choice, though. The “best interests” standard still applies. If your child is old enough to have their preference considered, we can advise you on the best way to present that information or other factors you might want to bring to the court’s attention if you disagree.

Modification of California child custody and visitation orders

As children grow and parents’ needs change, there might be good reasons to change custody and visitation terms. When parents communicate well, these modifications can be negotiated in a civil manner and submitted jointly to the court. Unfortunately, there are situations where parents disagree and one party will have to explain to the judge how a substantial change in circumstances justifies an adjustment to the existing parenting arrangements. Demonstrating that a modification is your child’s best interests can be a complex undertaking. Whether you’re thinking about seeking a revision or are opposing an effort to modify the parenting plan, we’ll advise you on the best way to proceed.

Contact a California attorney for a consultation about a child custody matter

Inimitable Law in Rocklin handles child custody proceedings and other family law concerns for Northern California residents. To make an appointment to discuss your case with an experienced lawyer, please call 916-500-0369 or contact us online.